(died December 1980)
Margaret was the eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. F. H. Clews. She was educated at Newcastle Grammar School and qualified to become a primary school teacher, subsequently teaching on the Westlands, where she lived.
Her strong affection for Newcastle led her to become an active founder member of the Civic Society, as were her parents.
Together with them, she was a member of the Unitarian Meeting House, being the Secretary from the mid 70’s until her death.
Members, friends and local organisations contributed to a memorial fund that financed the commissioning of the plaque from the Royal Label Factory, now part of Leander Architectural, and its installation in Merrial Street by the Borough Council in 1986.
Contributed by Philip Crush
This blue plaque, our sixteenth, has been fixed to the Station Booking Office. It was unveiled by the Borough’s Mayor, Councillor Mrs Ann Heames, on Saturday 11th September. The plaque commemorates the opening of the station in 1837 and the Coronation steam engine 6220’s 114 mph “run” in 1937.
To date fifteen plaques have been commissioned and are displayed in the Borough (see below).
This scheme is ongoing and three new plaques are currently in production.
If you would like to suggest a local person or special building for our consideration contact us at – email@example.com
This trail will help you to find some of the more interesting buildings around the town centre.
1 Guildhall and Market Cross – Blue Plaque
2 71 High Street – Historic Building Plaque
3 75 High Street – Historic Building Plaque
4 85 High Street – Historic Building Plaque
5 93 High Street – Historic Building Plaque
6 Holy Trinity Church
7 The Barracks– Blue Plaque
8 Hassell Street Primary School
9 (former) St Giles’ and St George’s Primary School
10 2 Nelson Place – Historic Building Plaque
11 King Street – Historic Building Plaque
12 10 Queen Street – Historic Building Plaque
13 6 Queen Street – Historic Building Plaque
14 St George’s Church
15 (former) Ebenezer Church – Blue Plaque
16 Queen’s Gardens and Queen Victoria Statue
17 31 Ironmarket – Historic Building Plaque
19 13 Ironmarket – Historic Building Plaque
20 Lancaster Buildings
21 28a High Street – Historic Building Plaque
22 48-50 Merrial Street – Historic Building Plaque
23 Civic Offices
24 Ebenezer Schoolrooms – Blue Plaque
25 7 High Street – Historic Building Plaque
26 (former) Golden Ball – Blue Plaque
27 St Giles Church
28 Unitarian Meeting House – 2 Blue Plaques
29 65 Lower Street– Historic Building Plaque
30 Queen Elizabeth Gardens and Castle Site
31 The Orme Centre – Blue Plaque inside
32 56a High Street – Historic Building Plaque
In the 1970s, Civic Society members wanted to identify and celebrate some of the buildings of historic or architectural merit remaining in the Borough and mark them with small plaques.
These plaques, designed by Phillip Gibson, are cast and fired in a stoneware ceramic body and decorated in blue slip. The design shows a castle in a pool, symbolic of Newcastle and taken from the Borough’s coat of arms.
The 23 plaques were fixed by Newcastle Round Table members in April 1975 to these buildings –
13 Ironmarket The Barracks
31 Ironmarket 2 Nelson Place
7 High Street 6 Queen Street
22 High Street 10 Queen Street
28a High Street Brampton Lodge
56a High Street 12 King Street
71 High Street 16 King Street
75 High Street 27 Marsh Parade
85 High Street Clayton Hall School
93 High Street Orme Youth Centre
65 Lower Street Knutton Road School
50 Merrial Street